Universal Pre-Kindergarten - New York City
While working for the NYC Department of Education, the office's budget increased from $150 million to over $550 million overnight. As one of the first hires in the newly created division, Edward has worked in multiple facets of the Pre-K for All Initiative including:
- Writing of the Request for Proposal (RFP) for both Full-Day and Half-Day seats
- Implementation, operations, and evaluation of the RFP process
- Site Readiness for New Sites (including acting as a liaison to the Department of Health, Department of Buildings, and other permitting agencies)
- Negotiation of Contract Rates and Distribution of Start-up Funding
- Contract signing with new grantees
This work resulted in opening over 53,000 seats for New York City’s 4-year-olds in less than 8 months.
LIcense and Permits Committee
In 2009, Edward saw the need to create a streamlined process also created the License and Permits committee on CB11 to help organize local permitting in the community.
Dual Citizen Program
After recognizing the need for more user-friendly information for Filipinos, FACDI was developed to create a streamline process of becoming a Dual Citizen. FACDI partnered with community leader, Cesar Abueg, to develop a website that has an interactive questionnaire that helps navigate users to their options and a checklist for all the documents and steps that an applicant needs. There have been opportunities to also facilitate info sessions on Dual Citizenship like the eligibility requirements and FAQ’s for community members.
Candidate for New York City Council
In 2013, Edward decided to run for New York City Council.
Young Friends of Union Settlement
COMMUNITY REINVESTMENT FUND - JCRC
Created a fund to support local
NEW YORK CITY FILIPINO DEMOCRATIC CLUB